About the Program
Organizations have an increasing demand for mindfulness training. As part of their vitality programs for example, or to enhance sustainable employability for leaders and employees. But also, to develop a work environment that fosters employee well-being, effective teamwork and high performance.
Teaching mindfulness to organizations is a profession of its own. A profession more and more trainers wish to develop. And that is what this program is about: to develop your professionalism in bringing mindfulness to organizations.
We will provide you with knowledge about what it means for people to work in an organization, and how that impacts the way you can teach mindfulness. You will learn how employees deal with stress and the need to perform, and how this is influenced by for example engagement, control and commitment. and we share with you the newest insights from organization science, psychology, neuroscience and mindfulness.
And in addition to mindfulness at the individual level, we look at the dynamics of teams and organizations and how mindfulness can be used at those levels. In this way you will learn how the being mindful of individual employees and leaders and the collective mindfulness of teams and organizations can reinforce each other. You will learn mindfulness-based interventions both for individual as well as for group level.
You will learn what it takes to establish yourself as a professional mindfulness trainer for organizations: how to approach organizations, how to make a business case, how to conduct the training, and how to make sure both your participants and the organization as-a-whole feel your training has been effective and worthwhile. And as many trainers ask themselves how to show the impact of their courses to the organization, we will share the scientific evidence, but also how to use other forms of measuring direct impact of the courses.
The program is built upon the idea that as a mindfulness trainer in organizations you will work at the intersection of three areas: the personal growth and development of employees, the requirements of their profession and tasks, and the organization they work at, including its teams, culture and developments. Each individual area and their intersections present employees and managers with a myriad of challenges: mental pressure, understanding and misunderstanding, not being able to meet workplace demands, difficulties in cooperation, annoying colleagues, no control over their work, a tough or threatening organizational culture, etc. . But fortunately, each area and intersection can have positive effects as well, such as working for a common purpose and feeling part of something bigger, personal and professional growth, fun, and a sense of relevance and contribution.
The Mindfulness in Organizations teacher training program helps you develop a better understanding of the different areas and their intersections. And you will learn necessary competencies to support employees and leaders within organizations in their learning process, so they and their organizations can develop more effective ways to deal with the challenges they are facing.
This teacher training consist of several learning pathways, that you will complete in about a year: on site modules where we will work in the course group, webinars, an online workbook, online mentoring sessions, supervision sessions, a teaching practice (teaching the Mindfulness in the workplace course) and writing your reflection report. Together these learning pathways provide you with a sound foundation to develop your role as teacher of mindfulness in organisations
In the on site modules we will focus on the transfer of knowledge and expertise and the common rehearsing of exercises. In the first module you will develop insights in how organizations function, what that means for employees and leaders, and how you can intervene in this functioning through mindfulness training. Together we rehearse the core exercises of the Mindfulness in the Workplace training course.
The second module focuses on team development: how does the dynamics of a group work and how can you as a trainer support teams and employees to wider their insights in team dynamics? And how can mindfulness and compassion have a positive impact on that. We will also dive into the question if, and if so how mindfulness can help organizations to perform better, and the ethical dilemma's that come with that. The third module is the final is the rounding off day, where we will share and reflect on all learnings, experiences and insight the participants have developed during the program
The first and second module are a mixture of short theoretical presentations, rehearsing mindfulness exercises, developing contracting of organisations, and the exchanges of questions and experiences with other participants. Preceding the teacher training program you will be asked to read and become familiar with some scientific and experiential literature.
Between module 1 and 3 you will execute you own practice training within an organisation, guided by a supervisor and your supervision group. This practice training is based upon the 8-week Mindfulness in the Workplace course, an adaptation for the workplace of the MBSR-program. Acquiring and contracting this practice training is part or your learning process.
During the program there will be regular online mentoring sessions with the whole training group to support each other's learning journey.
Several webinars are part of the program.
Module 1 – Organisational Dynamics and Mindfulness Interventions
In this module the following themes will be treated:
- Getting to know each other and sharing learning objectives.
- Mindfulness in Organisaties (MIO) as a profession of its own
- Why and when mindfulness organisations helps or doesn't help.
- The difference with individual focused training programs.
- The trainer as process facilitator: skills and embodiment in an organizational context (safety, power, discomfort, here-and-now interventions).
- Mindfulness in organisations: individual and collective interventions.
- Insight in organisations
- Organisational culture and the needs analysis of mindfulness training.
- Stress and engagement in organisations: the Job Demands-Resources model.
- Modern HR-policies: performance en purpose.
- Preparing the practice training
- Rehearsing the Mindfulness in the Workplace training.
- Acquiring, offering, execution, evaluation and ethics of training programs in organisations.
Module 2 – Team Development and Embedding Mindfulness
In this module the following themes will be treated:
- Mindfulness in Organisaties (MIO) as a profession of its own - part 2
- Communication and cooperation in organisations: mindfulness-based models.
- Team development, mindfulness and compassion in organisations.
- Positive psychology in organisations.
- Team dynamics: recognizing and facilitating conversations.
Module 3 - From Teacher Training to Professional Practice
In this last module we will round off the whole learning journey:
- Ethics and mindfulness in organisations.
- Professional practice: contracting both organization and employees.
- Rounding off: what have we learned?
- Looking ahead on your own path as a MIO-trainer.
during the course of the program at least two webinars will be offered:
- Neuro science and mindfulness
- Mindfulness in organisations: review of the science available.
Practice Training and Supervision
Part of the program is to learn to deliver the Mindfulness in the Workplace course within an organization. For this you, yourself or together with a colleague, pass through the whole trajectory of acquiring, analyzing the organisational culture and the need of the organisation for mindfulness training, the intake interviews with potential participants, the execution of the course itself, and the evaluation of the course (through impact assessment) and feedback to the organisation. Through the principle of 'learning by doing' your education will gain depth.
The practice training will be supported by three supervision sessions in a small group, focusing on your learning experiences as a trainer in the organisational context: what does this mean for your embodiment as a trainer and how do you deal with the context?
Online Mentoring Sessions
From the end of the first module until the completion of the program online mentoring sessions will take place, usually once every 4 to 6 weeks. It is an opportunity to ask questions and share experiences with the practice training, the whole process of acquiring and contracting, the execution of certain exercises, new literature and insights, and so on. At the session always a teacher will be present.
Head of program is Wibo Koole, He is an experienced mindfulness himself, and the author of two books on mindfulness in organizations: Mindful Leadership for Effective Teams and Organizations, and Mindfulness at Work. Co-teacher is Kiki Vreeling, trainer of mindfulness and personal leadership development, and researcher in this field.
They will be supported by a series of specialist in various fields, like Arnold Bakker (world renowned profession in labour and organisational psychology), Marie-Claire Dassen (PhD candidate, leadership development and executive coach, on organisational culture, teams and group dynamics) and Matthijs Steeneveld (author and trainer, on positive psychology). You can find more information in their profiles below.
This MiO program has been developed for trainers with a completed education as mindfulness trainer, who (wish to) deliver mindfulness courses in organizations (profit, government, non-governmental) and want to grow their knowledge and skills to do so effectively.
The following requirements apply:
- Bachelor or Master degree or equivalent;
- Successful completion of a training as mindfulness trainer (MBSR/MBCT) or equivalent education; and having delivered at least 2 full MBSR or equivalent courses;
- Being familiar with working with people in organizations;
After your registration you will be invited for an intake interview with the head op program, in which motivation and requirements will be discussed. The head of program makes the final decision to accept your application.
Upon completion of this program:
- You have gained insight and understanding of what it means to work in an organization, and how that impacts the way you can conduct mindfulness training in that context;
- You have gained knowledge and understanding of the approaches relevant to the application of mindfulness in organizations (mindfulness, organizational management, HR, neuroscience, positive psychology);
- You have developed the skills to offer and conduct mindfulness interventions for organizations, (training sessions, workshops) in a responsible and professional manner;
- You have developed the skills to help participants of your training adequately apply the insights from the training in their daily work and life situation and in their leadership;
- You have developed a clear idea and have gained helpful experience in the dynamics and embodiment of being a trainer in organizations.
- You have developed the skills necessary to acquire, contract, conduct and evaluate mindfulness interventions in organizations.
Certificate and Learning Network
Upon completion of the course you will receive the certificate Trainer Mindfulness in Organizations. In addition, you become a member of the Learning Network Training MIO, where alumni from the teacher training program can share their knowledge and experience and can attend additional annual master classes.
The program includes an online workbook with the overall program, background literature and applied MIO exercises. You also receive a Teacher Guide to conduct the Mindfulness in the Workplace course. We expect you to have studied and be familiar with the contents of the books Mindful Leadership and Mindfulness at Work by Wibo Koole before the program starts.
- Dutch spoken; English welcome
- Full days; modular
- Dutch spoken; English welcome
- Full days; modular