Have you ever wondered if there was a skill you could use to help you sustain real compassionate care for patients in the face of competing demands like technology and documentation, time pressure, patient trauma and fatigue?
Burgeoning research is showing that self-compassion skills can be of particular benefit to health care professionals, allowing them to experience greater satisfaction in their caregiving roles, less stress, and more emotional resilience. The good news is that self-compassion skills are trainable and build your capacity to handle stressful challenges.
In research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology (Neff.Knox.2020) the SCHC program was found to significantly:
- Secondary traumatic stress
- Compassion for others
- Job satisfaction in healthcare professionals
As opposed to other self-care techniques, self-compassion practices can be used on the spot while at work with patients and colleagues. As a participant of the program you can learn the following objectives:
- Be able to describe the key components of self-compassion and mindfulness and how they can be integrated into your role as a healthcare professional.
- Be able to explain the difference between empathy and compassion and utilize strategies to avoid emotional exhaustion.
- Be able to practice techniques to increase self-compassion at work and everyday life.
- Practice at least one skill from each session to care for yourself emotionally while caring for others who are experiencing difficulty.
The Self-Compassion Training for Healthcare Communities program meets for six 1-hour sessions.
All sessions are delivered live-online via Zoom meeting for an interactive learning experience. The SCHC program week by week:
- Week 1: What is Self-compassion
Introduction: What is Self-Compassion? Misgivings and research about Self-Compassion.
- Week 2: Practicing Self-Compassion
The physiology of self-compassion. Self-compassion break. Backdraft. Moments of mindfulness.
- Week 3: Discovering Your Compassionate Voice
Self-criticism and safety. Motivating ourselves with compassion.
- Week 4: Self-Compassion and Resilience
Strategies for meeting difficult emotions.
- Week 5: Self-Compassion and Burnout
Stress and Burnout. Compassion with Equanimity.
- Week 6: Making it Count
Core Values for Healthcare Professionals. Setting an intention. Practice going forward.
For everybody who works in healthcare.
New dates will be published soon.
Registration will be possible when new dates are published.